Monday, October 1, 2012

Oh My Darling Clementine

I'm a terrible singer.  My singing repertoire is likewise terrible.  One of the only songs for which I know both lyrics and melody is "Oh My Darling Clementine."  So when Sasha requested a bedtime song and refused to listen to my only other song ("You Are My Sunshine") because it was "for babies," I offered up the only alternative.  Unfortunately, in the song sweet Clementine dies a horrible drowning death.  What does a concerned parent do?

Make up better lyrics, of course.

Here's my revised version, for use by any grandparents putting Sasha into bed for the night.

In a cavern, in a canyon
excavating for a mine
lived a miner, forty-niner
and his daughter Clementine.

Light she was and like a fairy
and her shoes were number nine,
herring boxes without topses,
sandals were for Clementine.

Drove she ducklings to the water
every morning just at nine,
kicked her shoes off, went a'swimming
with the ducks in foaming brine.

Ruby lips above the water
blowing bubbles sure and fine,
Alas, she was a mighty swimmer
and I lost my Clementine.

Down the river, like an arrow
Past the hills of rock and pine,
She was fated, world awaited,
adventure was for Clementine.

4 comments:

  1. Love your new version! Need to post it to Google so more people can use it! It's great and perfect for children! Sasha is a lucky boy. I can't wait till he can sing it to me! It won't be long before he knows all the words. He doesn't forget much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome!! Very creative---I am duly impressed!! I had to google the original version since I didn't know every verse.....did you know there was also a verse about "then I kissed her little sister, and forgot my Clemetine" ??? Wtf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok " any grandparent putting Sasha to bed" is one thing but try croaking this out at 5 am!!!!In what turns out to be a vain attempt to get him to "sleep in" at least until the sun starts to rise! BTW Monica he will prompt you if you forget the words or, perish the thought, fall asleep.

    There's no accounting for musical taste even with an almost 4 year old.

    PS Yes Carrie I have seen that verse.....creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Sasha could write the song he wants sung to him, and then go with that! And have a copy in front of you so you DON'T FORGET THE WORDS! He sounds like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory when he insists "Soft Kitty" be sung to him when he's sick. If you mess up you start over. No cheating.(Thank goodness it's a short ditty.) Okay, true, I watch too much of Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete