Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hair Emergency

Oh no. Why do I think I can do the job of a professional? Since I hacked up his hair the last time I tried giving him a cut, this time I thought I would soften the choppy look by using electric clippers. YouTube said it would be easy! We were afraid that the buzzing would scare the Bub, but instead he loved it like a head massage. I started with the back of his hair and it looked okay. So I moved on to the front. Just a little touch to his bangs to get them out of his eyes. But he was so cooperative he helpfully leaned forward and Bam! Instant balding hairline. Square in the middle of his forehead. We then tried going for the Caesar cut. Yeah, right. Nerdy and I discussed: what to do now??? There was only one solution. My heart hurts a little, but here he is in all his buzz cut glory:


While Googling how to cut a toddler's hair ('cause that's how professionals do it), I came across this post from Chris, blogger at Notes From the Trenches. I should have paid closer attention to it before the disaster.

How to cut a toddler’s hair in 25 easy steps

1. After looking at the sweaty haired toddler, determine he desperately needs a haircut
2. RIGHT NOW
3. Get out the haircutting supplies while feeding self delusions of grandeur
4. Put cape around toddler, which he promptly tears off
5. Pick up the first piece of hair, hold it lovingly between fingers
6. Begin cutting the perfect hair cut
7. Toddler shakes his head furiously
8. Resulting in a bald spot
9. Delusions of giving the perfect haircut, where strangers would approach and ask for the name of my toddler hairdresser and then look at me incredulously and utter, “wow, you cut hair? You are amazing!” are shattered
10. Pin toddler between knees
11. Let toddler loose exactly 3.5 seconds later after fearing the neighborhood windows will shatter from his piercing screams
12. Scream, “Baby you’re so going to lose an ear if you keep up the writhing!”
13. Employ new method of haircutting, a.k.a how much worse could it look
14. Grab and cut random patches of hair
15. while following behind the running toddler
16. Running with scissors near son’s head
17. now THAT is behavior you hope your children will model
18. Encourage 3 yr old to have a turn cutting toddler’s hair
19. good parenting at it’s finest
20. This way when people ask if a child cut the toddler’s hair the answer is truthfully, yes
21. Wonder how a baby crew cut would look
22. Decide, wisely, against getting out the clippers
23. Realize there is a special place in hell for people who cut their own toddler’s hair
24. At least he has those dimples to distract people, and a cute sun hat
25. And really, does anyone who still craps their pants care what their hair looks like


6 comments:

  1. Awwwwwww......I think it looks cute on him!!! Although, I don't think there is a hairstyle in the world that wouldn't look adorable on him! Scratch that, the Ryder Hudson (Kate Hudson's kid if you're not up on your People info) is a brutal look on any little boy :) Anyway, I think he looks as cute as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look as cute as always, just a mite older. Don't give him any ideas about joining the Marines though (when he's of age). The guys would be all over him. ;-)

    Did you see the picture of the dreadlocks wig with Marley cap I sent Nerdy? The BUB can try out all sorts of hairstyles now and get new
    hats, . . . Loved Chris' blog--but even if you had read it #9 might have had you not listen to him anyway. Alo to ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing--He really IS a handsome devil!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he looks adorable!! Like Mollie said, just a bit older. And he could care less! Even though he doesn't have an older sib to blame it on, you could say Taylor did it over Xmas vacation! What are cousins for if not to take some of the blame? He looks fabulous anyway, I just dare someone in public to comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you guys recovered yet? Hope so! He really is cute with that cut--but I'm sure it freaked you guys out to lose the little boy hair. Don't you want to buy one of those dreadlock wigs for him? Just for the fun of it? Now THAT would draw public comment. tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a nonparent, I have never noticed the haircut on a young child. As for other parents, well, they know the deal. It really doesn't look bad though. In direct contradiction with Carrie's comment, I thought you kinda liked Ryder's (or was it Celine Dion's child's) hair. You could try that out.

    ReplyDelete