Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm Sure There Was a Stampede at the Library


Sasha got his very own library card this week. I know it seems like jumping the gun a little bit, but there were extenuating circumstances. Even now Nerdy can recall the reverence in which she held her first and very own library card. She can describe in detail how the librarian spoke with her about how you treat a book ("books are your friends") and then let her write her 5-year-old signature on the card.

I thought that she might like to create a similar experience for the Bub and have it be a special day. But then I heard about the limited edition, only while supplies last, Sesame Street's 40th Anniversary celebratory Elmo library card. Yes, friends, Elmo himself is on the front of the card. Sasha may not care one whit about Elmo by the time he understands what a library is, but he can lovingly pull it out of my wallet until then. (And leave my $90 Metrocard alone.)

In the meantime, we have plans tomorrow for the whole family to go to the Central Library to enjoy the Sesame Street memorabilia and whatever else they have going on for the anniversary.

As part of the card application process, I authorized the Bub to be able to check out materials from the adult section as well as the children's section. That way when he sneaks out to the local branch and tries to check out The Communist Manifesto nothing stands in his way.

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! And when he is old enough to understand, he can renew his vows so to speak. Have fun today (inside- brrrrrrr).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communist Manifesto? You crack me up! But I really think it's neat that he has his own little library card. Man, he's quite that little adult---his own passport and his own library card. I think the library card will end up taking him more places than his passport!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a comment here several days ago, but then my computer crashed and away it went. I love it that Sasha can go check out the Communist Manifesto whenever he wants! Maybe he should check it out now, and get the FBI shirts all in a turmoil. A two-year old checking out the manifesto? The students in the course I coordinate are reading it this quarter--our desk copies come from International Publishers in NYC. I do believe they are communists, and it is so satisfying to get books from them instead of the mega-conglomerate book publishers we usually deal with!
    Yeah, Mon, you're right. Passport AND library card. I don't even own a passport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Good idea to get this card. I seem to remember a little Grover-in-cape figurine of his mothers, hmmmm?!

    ReplyDelete