Monday, October 26, 2009

In, Out

There's a new game around here that's all the rage. The meditative value of placing things in and out of a container cannot be underestimated; it's toddler nirvana. As you may know from previous posts (or personal experience), Mister has for a while now enjoyed taking objects out of their place and scattering them around the apartment. But now he is graduating to the sequel, "in." He's elaborated on the standard Take All My Clothes Out of My Dresser Drawer game by adding Take All My Diapers Out of the Cabinet and Put Them Into the Now-Empty Dresser Drawer. The new and improved game, while interesting, didn't make things more fun for me.

In and out has spread to other activities, however, that have made things easier on his attendants. For example, Sasha pilfered the 2 of diamonds from a card deck and carried it to the hall closet. He proceeded to put the card in and out of the milk crate on the floor of the closet for 20 minutes. First the left side, then the right side, down deep and then just inside the rim, facing in or out, crumpled or straightened, etc. All this required extraordinary attention and focus, providing Mommy with some time to write an email or two. Even putting a wooden peg in and out of his toy bucket is good for at least 30 rounds of in and out. I was able to enjoy an entire cup of hot coffee at the Tea Lounge while Sasha put a quarter in and out of the cap to his bottle. Delightful for both of us.

One downside to the game is the collateral damage. I searched the house for the bottle of teething pills that I knew were around here somewhere. I finally gave up and used Tylenol. Weeks later, Nerdy tried to put a tape in the VCR and it wasn't going in. She fiddled with it a few minutes and lo and behold, a bottle of teething pills were hanging out inside. Or the time I was going insane trying to find a matching sock for Sasha. Days later, I saw a glimpse of it inside the plastic box where I keep sewing accessories-- in my closet, under a 20-pound heap of clothing. I still don't know how he managed to pry the lid open with one hand. Over the weekend, I found a small stash of Cheerios inside a bookshelf. I imagine this game will last for a while (this summer, Maya was still enjoying "hiding sings") and we will lose many things over the course of the coming months.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for activities that give Mommy a few minutes of "free time"!!! Isn't drinking hot coffee or tea seem like heaven on earth nowdays??

    Also, the picture? Crazy cute!! His hair looks like it's getting even longer!

    Oh, and one more thing. You have a freakin' VCR?? I didn't know anyone had those anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew someone was going to make that comment! We keep the VCR around because it's good for recording things. And it still works, so why graduate to TiVo/DVR?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, I also have a VCR. Except I don't even know how to hook it up so I just keep moving it year after year. Pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so good at describing the antics of a toddler. Wouldn't it be fun to be in their head as they're doing the In and Out over and over. What are they thinking? What are they learning? Does anyone know?
    PS-You might think the VCR is fine, but once you get a DVR you'll wonder how you lived before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will be forever be finding stickers and old stale cheerios (how do you know the difference?). When Nadya, Alice and Margot were y oung they used to hunt for jellybeans on Easter morning. We re-painted our apartment last year and guess what we found behind the bookcases???

    I agree Monica- how did we live before DVR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is too funny about the surprises. I just bought part of Sasha's birthday present with the In, Out game in mind. Well, if you need to occupy his attention for awhile, you now have a reliable tactic.
    For the record, I'm also in the VCR camp, although it is part of the DVD/VCR player. I'm also thinking DVR probably doesn't work on antennae-based digital TV, especially considering I pretty much don't receive any channels anymore. hee, hee.

    ReplyDelete