Friday, September 17, 2010

Brooklyn Tornado

So as many of you know, we had a crazy storm here yesterday that may or may not have been a tornado. All I know is, the sky suddenly got very dark and greenish, the rain started to pour down in sheets, and the trees out our window were looking close to sideways. While my more well-informed neighbors were taking shelter in their basements or bathrooms, I picked Sasha up on to a table to look out the window to see the rain and lightning. He got so excited, he started jumping and shouting, "Go outside! Go outside!"

The whole storm lasted 10 minutes, but the damage around here is shocking. Trees down everywhere, blocking the streets, crushing cars, falling into houses. Here's a video of some of the Prospect Park damage. It's a little shaky because the guy filming is on a bike. (Thanks, Mom, for the link.)


4 comments:

  1. I am SO glad you guys are okay. And I hope your friends are okay too!! I sent you the youtube video of the guys videotaping the storm and freaking out! I think Sasha aspires to be the next Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched the video your Mom sent--what a sadness. Very funereal. Hugs to you all--and especially to little Jimmy Cantore. ha ha. I loved bad storms when I was older, but as a kid I was the first to head for the basement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys are ok too, but I'm laughing. What a picture, don't give out your name;-) Would have been nice if one of the neighbors had knocked on the door, but what am I thinking? I laughed again when I realized ALL those people were really jogging and biking, not just touring the damage! Gotta get those muscles in tune!! I"m glad nothing happened though. You'll have to save this video for Sasha and the one Mollie sent. It must be his first BIG storm. Should have made him a rain coat, but the rain feels so much better on wet clothes or no clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're alright. Sasha wanted to go outside?! The video was nice to see "firsthand" how bad it was. It's good there's still some trees standing!

    ReplyDelete