Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dinosaur Feeb


Oh, the never-ending game of dinosaur feeb.

Dinosaur feeb is an invention I regret and Sasha's favorite thing in the whole world. A couple of weeks ago, I bought some dinosaur figures from the $1 bin, thinking they had potential for imagination games. But I may have overestimated his ability to be create imagination games. The game, having been started by me, now doesn't really change unless I suggest something new.

This is the game: Sasha moves around a brontosaurus and Mama or I move around all of the remaining dinosaurs. (All remaining dinosaurs. If we have three dinosaurs plus a cup of coffee but only two hands, tough luck. We are not allowed to put one down.) Basically we just push around the plastic figures in or around the feeb, playing follow-the-leader. A feeb is a cave made of two pillows pushed together to form an upside-down V on the couch and seems to be the central joy of the game. (Why "feeb?" Because sometimes toddler pronunciation is inexplicable.) The game starts when Sasha shouts, "Dinosaur feeb!" and all the dinos go into the feeb, then out, then in, then do various other activities. Some other visitors from the stuffed animal collection visit the feeb and are greeted and kissed, then the dinos leave again, eat, go back into and on top of the feeb, jump up and down from the couch, etc., etc., etc. Game time is 5:00 am or thereabouts and the second round is after breakfast. Third and fourth rounds happen whenever the schedule allows, but there's usually another round before bedtime because now the dinosaurs go bathing, too.

A special benefit that the game provides is the many opportunities to use the word "too." The narration goes something like this:

"Dinosaur feeb! Baby, too. Monkey, too. Lion, too."
"T-Rex eating eggs. Triceratops, too. Brontosaurus, too."
"Visit penguin. T-Rex, too. Triceratops, too."

Yes it's cute, but after a few hundred games I think I'm going to lose my mind.



5 comments:

  1. Yikes! I don't think I could play dinosaur feeb that much. Is he bringing them along on vacation to Wisconsin? Then he'll have more than mama and mamoo to play the game. Yay, tomorrow I get to see him and hug him and listen to him talk and talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what he was "creating" at 5:30 this morning (props to Nana for giving Mama and Mahmoo/Mamoo extra sleep)with the 6 plastic horses unearthed from Rosen children's childhood. Thanks for the explanation if not the game!! Wisconsin, are you ready???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh, yes, dinosaur feeb will be played in Wisconsin. We can't just leave Brontosaurus at home, you know. Or T-Rex. But I'm thinking Triceratops, Stegosaurus, and T-Rex2 will be lost in the depths of a cave in Brooklyn.

    A 5:30 game of horse feeb! How awesome. How awesome that I slept through it! Yes, props to Nana for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, props to Sasha's Nana!! How wonderful of her to let you two get some extra sleep. And now it's horse feeb! (Does feeb stand for something that I'm not able to translate being an adult?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think that would cause me to lose my mind "too." Maybe you could teach him about extinction (e.g., the dinasours go into the garbage or somewhere and never come back). :)

    ReplyDelete