Thursday, September 23, 2010

Gymnastics is a Gift From the Gods

Today was the first day of Sasha's you're-spoiled-because-we-can't-afford-it-and-we're-doing-this-anyway gymnastics class.  What a perfect match.  He loved, loved, loved it and so did I.  Technically, it's my class, too, because we're officially a Dynamic Duo; I have to follow him around to provide assistance and prevent harm.

The activities include a trampoline, rings, a bar, a balance beam, bean bags in a bucket, a hopscotch form, and a bunch of foam thingies.  He liked most of them, and there's plenty of room for learning and development.  Like years' worth.

I failed at my duties today when he practically bent in half (the wrong way) and crunched his spine. I'm not sure how it happened, and he whimpered for a few seconds, but thankfully a hug was enough to fix it.  Needless to say, he didn't try out that piece of equipment again.

Here's a great video from the organization's (ok, it's one woman, Elizabeth, and she is awesome) website.


4 comments:

  1. Way cool. Not sure he KNOWS he's spoiled. :-) Just lucky. I thought he'd be a good gymnast given that one photo of Maya and him doing crunches (well, almost) on the playground bar. Maybe ask your family for money for his b-day to help pay for his classes?! And his massage therapy to get the crink out of his back!! You're the spotter, Wisco. Spot away!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I have a bit of my Dad in me. I worry. Are you sure the Bub is okay? Did the teacher see it and say no problem? Me and my sisters used to do Sokol--here's a blurb from Wikipedia (we did the gymnastics part and always lined up at the end and said "Nazda"-=not spelled correctly. "The Sokol movement (from the Slavic word for falcon) is a youth sport movement and gymnastics organization first founded in Czech region of Austria-Hungary, Prague, in 1862 by Miroslav Tyrš and Jindřich Fügner. Primarily a fitness training center, the Sokol, also through lectures, discussions, and group outings provided what Tyrš viewed as physical, moral, and intellectual training for the nation. This training extended to members of all classes, and eventually to women..." I see there is a Sokol group in Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see him running around and trying out everything. He must be in heaven. Does he scream when it's time to go or is he tired out? He's one lucky kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute. Gymnastics was one of my fave activities as a youngster. That's a great thing to enroll him in. Mollie, your Sokol history is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete